Tuesday 10 June 2014

Who is travelling?

Well, I have won the trip to the Night of the Proms concert in the USA, right?!  The advantage of the 4 concerts organized that I had the chance to choose between destinations.  Dallas, Kansas City, Omaha and Little Rock.  I chose Dallas in order to be in a bigger city and see a little more as a traveler.  Also have some friends in town and since my American husband is not willing to see me there, I needed a city where I can enjoy my stay also as a tourist.  Slight little problem which needs to be solved is that the trip is for 2 people. 
Originally I had all this planned in my head:
1.) Meeting my husband and spending time there with him and discuss our future. (of course that time he still wanted to see me ;-))
2.) Taking my stepmum with me as she has never been to the US. 
3.) Travel with a friend of mine who has looked after my cat for 5 months.
I thought it is a good opportunity to offer a great experience and traveling.  The only down side of it: the trip is only covered with 2 nights of accommodation because of the length of the concert (one night).  My perspective is if I travel half of the world than I would definitely stay longer and do a little sightseeing (you never know, might not ever go that way again in my life)...this obviously costs extra money for hotel and renting a car to be able to get around.  I was so excited but got turned down by all of the people I had planned. 
It's ok, I don't give up that easy.  I decided to make a draw amongst the friends who have registered in this contest for me and the winner who can afford the extra costs and time is convenient for, will be able to travel with me.  I wrote more than a hundred emails, explaining the details of the trip and day by day less people were able to be included in the draw.  Some didn't have a valid passport, some couldn't afford the extra costs or simply didn't have the time to travel on these particular dates.  It all came down to 2 people at the end and at the very last day...one of them pulled out.  Knowing who the last person was, I contacted her and again got excited about organizing our little adventure together.  Her birthday being on the 18th of June sounded perfect and I thought of asking the organizers if we can surprise her on the day of arriving to the hotel, maybe with someone personally singing to her. (Yes, I am that sweet :-)) Had the flights booked, received confirmation for 14-22 June and everything was going smoothly apart from our communication as she was on a holiday at the same time.  She was supposed to travel from Hungary and needed to get an extra flight from Budapest to the Netherlands.  Unfortunately, for some reason she was not able to book this trip and when she got back from her holiday, she pulled out because of various reasons.  I felt awful.  I put a full week effort in this, turned down a lot of people who could have travelled on slightly different dates and already had the flight ticket booked on her name. 
Again, I learnt a lesson from life, people don't appreciate other's efforts that much, nor something they don't need to put any work in...we always learn on a hard way, even that life can be so easy, we still tend to complicate it for ourselves. 
For some reason, maybe I need to travel alone again and this time with a heavy heart.  I need to remind myself that I won this trip and I am so proud I could achieve that.  Sure I will have a superb time there with true friends waiting for me and will also have some space for myself to clear my head.  I am one lucky woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment